It’s better if you don’t but then again, if you follow these few tips there will probably be no harm in washing your wetsuit in a washing machine once in a while:
- no detergent, one made for washing clothes is too strong for neoprene,
- use only lukewarm water, set your washing machine to the lowest temperature possible,
- choose a wash cycle for delicate clothes,
- no spin cycle, take the wet wetsuit out of the washing machine and dry it outside,
- and of course – if you also have a drier – don’t use it!
You mostly wash wetsuis in a washing machine when you own lots of them- like when you run a surf school or a surf shop that rents them and they are worn by many different people so it is more important to keep them clean than to keep them in top shape. Wetsuits that are for rent will fall apart much sooner anyway, machine washed or not.